Bharathanatyam is an art form proclaimed to be one of the most divine by many art lovers. This dance form not only tones the body but disciplines the mind and inculcates the spirit of Indian culture and ethos in practitioners. This is integrated with Yoga to give the best physical and mental benefit to the learner.
We offer Bharatanatyam classes at Ramakrishna Nagar and Hebbal centres, conducted by Vidushi Smt. Nagalakshmi Nagarajan, one of the shining exponents of this art.
Ramakrishna Nagar Centre (Tuesday & Thursday)
- Sub-junior: 5.30 pm – 6.15 pm
- Junior: 6 pm – 7.30 pm
Hebbal Centre (Monday & Wednesday)
- Sub-junior and Junior: 6 pm – 7.15 pm
We also run morning batches at Kuvempunagar on need basis.
Senior and Vidwat classes will be conducted in accordance with students’ time preference on 3 days in a week.
Students need to be present in the class 10 minutes ahead of class timings.
Contact Smt. Nagalakshmi at +91 9980134090 for more information.
Profile of Smt. Nagalakshmi Nagarajan
Vidushi Nagalakshmi Nagarajan is a well-known Bharathanatyam performer, choreographer and teacher in Mysore. She is the Founder of Champaka Academy, Preschool and Cultural Activity Center, Mysuru. She has had her training in Bharathanatyam under great Gurus like Smt. Vasanthalakshmi and Dr. Vasundhara Doraswamy and has completed her Masters in dance.
She is also a practitioner of Yoga for over a decade and is a certified Yoga teacher trained under Guru. Sudhesh Chandra of Mysuru and frequently fuses Yoga in her dance presentations and in her teaching.
She is also a budding exponent of the ancient martial art of Kerala “Kalaripayattu”, learning from Guru Krishnapratap in Bangalore.
Having done her Vidwat in Bharathanatyam, having keen interest in the theory of dance as well, she completed her Master of Arts in Bharatanatyam.
She has choreographed numerous solo and group performances, including the following:
- ‘Vasudeva Abhinandanam’, a thematic solo performance on the 150th birth anniversary of Mysore K. Vasudevacharya at Nadabrahma Sangeeta Sabha in April 2015.
- A special feature on popular renditions of Bharata Ratna Smt. M.S. Subbalakshmi in her centenary year, for a charity event organized by Lions Club of Mysore West. These rare compositions were also performed live at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Mysuru.
- ‘Sri Krishna Leela Vibhuthi’ – a musical drama of the great Kannada poet DVG was successfully choreographed and presented in 2017.
- Rare keertanas of Haridasas in Kanaka Purandara Bhakthi Sudha, a music and dance production of Dr.Sukanya Prabhakar.
- Regular performer at the Indus Valley Ayurvedic Centre, Mysuru, to introduce Indian arts, especially Bharatanatyam, to foreign clients.
Vidushi. Nagalakshmi has given performances in events organized by the Kannada and Culture Department, Govt. of Karnataka, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan and has won encomiums. She is the recipient of scholarship awarded by the Karnataka Sangeet Nritya Academy and participated in the South Central Zone Cultural Competitions, securing a prize.
She has given solo and group performances in many cultural festivals throughout India, important ones among them are Hampi Festival, Lakkundi Festival, Kittappa Pillai Yuva Nrityotsav, Vishnudas Memorial Concert, Iskcon Brahmotsava, Festival of Nature by Govt. of Karnataka and Dept. of Tourism, Pravah Festival of Dance at Ernakulam, Konark Festival, Dance Jatre at Bangalore, Suttur, Mantralaya, IIMUN Conference at Mysuru and many more places.
She has performed in the famous choreographies of her Gurus including Ramayana, Kaveri Vaibhava, Shakuntala, SuryaNamaskara, Chalukya Vaibhava, Vidyunmadanika, Sri Krishna Tulabhara, Durga, Gurubhyonamaha, Radha Madhava, etc.
She is the recipient of “Nritya Nipune” award given by Karnataka Nrityakala Parishat. She is also an examiner for the KSEEB conducted Bharatanatyam examinations and has also trained many students for the dance exams. Her sessions are always integrated with yoga and fitness to help kids enjoy Bharatanatyam.